Hello!!!
I feel like I haven't written in so long and so
many awesome crazy different things have occurred and I only have a
few minutes to write this and then write my mission president so I will just
type way fast and hope that my stories make sense. Sorry! I'll repent and time
manage better next week.
Manilla MTC:
So I loved my time at the MTC here but it was so crazy
different from Provo. Like you wouldn't even believe. For example, we wake up
at 6 and do a military style line up outside and then we have workout time. The
military life really isn't for me BUT the spirit was super strong while we were
there and it was neat to experience another MTC's style. Also they had the best
food of life. Our district decided to play badminton for gym time and
we killed it. Professional over here. haha jokes. It was really fun to try
though.
One cool thing we do at the MTC there is go
out proselyting in the nearby cities So we got to practice
some of our Tagalog and it was just the coolest thing. We taught lessons on
floors and met the COOLEST people. Gosh I just love everyone so much.
Okay so moving onto my time in the mission field.
My companion/trainer is Sister McCord from Provo,Utah. She
has been out in her mission for 11 months and it literally the coolest person
ever. She is helping me so much and i love her. She reminds me of my
sister Zera who is also the coolest person ever so that's pretty neat. (I miss
you Zera!) It's funny because sister W's comp is from Georgia and was sister
mccord's comp in the MTC so we kind of switched. I am assigned in Daraga which
is a big city about 15 minutes from Legazpi. It's way cool because it
is where all the ZL's,STL's,AP's and mission president are so we get to see
them a lot. In our apartment is me, sister Mccord, and the two Sister training
leaders. I think it's funny how I am always roomies with the
Sister Training Leaders. Guess they gotta keep an eye on me or
something. I can't send pictures this week but i'll try next time. Our
apartment is pretty nice. My bed is all cute and filippino and on the floor and
it feels like a cloud. It is my favorite thing ever. During the Typhoon our
house was alittle damaged so the bathroom door flew off and we don't have one
but we have toilet paper so I'm in no position to complain. haha It's
funny because right after I got here there was a typhoon(little one, like we
could walk through it) but i guess it messed up some wires so we didn't have
power or water for a few days. I am learning how to be a pioneer. All the
roomies felt bad that I didn't get a "nice week in
the Philippines before everything went crazy" but I'm really
fine with it. I told them sorry and it's probably my fault because I skipped
out on that one trek like 4 years ago and now God is just giving me a
chance to experience it. Gosh the people here are just the best. haha Every
single person I meet tells me I'm beautiful.Like literally to my face just
that.Also that I am huge. My favorite occurance was when i was teaching my
first family and the teenage boy asks me how old I am and we were both 19 and
he goes "wow! you're overgrown!" hahaha it was so funny because i am
way taller than everyone here. I don't get offended
when every person I meet basically calls me fat to my
face because they are just so sweet. It's weird how height is associated with
age here. Like if you're tall they expect you to be like 30 which makes no
sense to me because none of the old people here are tall haha oh well.
silly comments like that just make me love them more. The boy followed
the "overgrown" comment by telling me I look like a hollywood movie
star so he was easy to love after that. haha I swear nothing boosts your self
estem like people telling you how gorgeous you are when you are gross and
sweaty and wearing no makeup. I'm always just like Salamat!! Also
people call me barbie. Which is funny because that's not me at all but I guess
it just means doll face. (throwback to the procaine doll joke).
Oh man I know I'm forgetting so many things but I'll tell at
least one experience I had. So when the power was out we still went to teach
because we are awesome woman warrior filippino sister missionaries and that's
what we do. Anyways, so we were in these little cute houses teaching by candle
light and one of them we were reading the book of mormon with the kids and the
family and it was basically the best moment of my life! Also funny how the
little 3 year old could read the tagalog scriptures better than me but that's
okay because she's had 3 years and I've only had like 8 weeks. Oh man so many things
i wish i could say but no time.
My first sunday in church was crazy and terrifying
and I walked in the door and they asked me to give a 7 minute talk
in Tagalog like 5 minutes before it started but it was fine and i
have no idea what i said but I didn't pass out from fear so that's a start. I
literally don't think I've ever been that afraid of speaking in my life. God
definitely helped me out. Oh yeah, it's the craziest thing. As soon as I got
here, Tagalog has been so much better for me.Don't get me wrong, it is still
way hard and frustrating at times and I'm no pro at all but it's way better
than in the MTC. Everyone says I speak like I've been in
the field for 4 months which is crazy because i'm really not that
good. But i teach lessons and OYM and go up to random people and houses and
talk to them first and I love it. I'm choosing faith over fear and it's so
great. Nothing scares me anymore! (except for church haha). I feel the
spirit helping me so much every day it is amazing. I know that the language
will come especially with my awesome trainer and the lord on my side. I'm
excited when I can really speak to these people. We were at the old bishops'
house last night for dinner and he told me that I would be fluent in Tagalog in
3 months(at the end of my training). I told him I hoped he still had the gift
of revelation from being bishop haha. I'm not really pushing time at all
though, I'm just going to push myself every single day and work crazy hard and
everything will come in the Lord's time. Oh also no time now but remind me to
tell you about when I accidentally tracked some Cathloic nuns.
Oh man it is so different here and really hard sometimes but
it's weird because in a way I really feel Like I'm coming home here. Like
somehow I belong. I love it here.
Love you all! sorry this was so scatterbrained and I left
abunch out.
Muhal Kita!
Sister Turner
No comments:
Post a Comment