They did walk uprightly before God, imparting to one another both temporally and spiritually according to their needs and their wants.--Mosiah 18:29

Monday, April 6

The Rat and the Runaway

Okay so this has been just the craziest week. My mom mentioned in her letter to me that my weekly emails seem to be getting shorter! Sorry if that's the case, I just have less things I can write about because more and more confidential "tell your family when you get home" stuff have been happening and I really can't write about it BUT I promise I have been writing in my journal and will fill you in on all the stories when I get home. Also sorry my english is kinda bad, it's honestly getting hard to type in english I keep typing taglish ahha

This week we found some rats in our house and have been trying to catch them so they wont attract snakes to our apartment. One night I walked downstairs to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and walked right into a mouse rat thing and screamed so loud but I probably would have had a heart attack if it had been a snake. The elders brought us a mouse trap and set it up in our house for us and put out some poison that apparently would make them really thirsty and we were supposed to cover up all the water sources in the house so they would come outside and die out there and not in the house. The Elders seemed to think it was pretty funny when I asked if the rats would try to eat us if we sweat in the night while we are sleeping and they said "They aren't going to kill you sister turner, haven't you ever seen ratatouille?" and I just reply "Haven't you seen the other side of heaven??" Yeah. I think I won that one. haha Anyways, we ended up catching one in the trap and it was so kawawa (translation of pitiful i think) and I chickened out and wanted to just let it go outside and not kill it because it was so sad but my crazy kabahay electrocuted it with a taser meant from stalkers who try to attack sister missionaries. That was an awful experience. Never thought I would try so hard to defend the life of a mouse rat. Like I was literally crying. Boombahira. 

We had exchanges this week with the STL's and it was so much fun. It was actually kind of nice to get to a new area and meet new members and investigators and lahat. I love my area but I think sometimes it's hard to get new insights when you are in the same place for so long. It was nice to have a day away and come back with a fresh set of eyes.

Also my trainee knows how to cut hair and I totally let her give me bangs spur of the moment (that is the definition of trust). It turned out really cute. Everyone was really shocked by it I guess because it's the first time I have looked different in 8 months. I'll send pictures maybe next week. I like it though and it's nice to have a change in hair even if I'm going to be in the same area for half my mission. haha

The rest of the week was a little crazy because we came home for dinner on Thursday and found our housemate crying on the floor hysterically and we had no idea what had happened but just tried our best to comfort her. Then the AP's drove up and we figured out that the crying sister missionaries companion had run away and left her companion in the house and all this confidential stuff happened but my housemate was having a panic/shock attack and we tried to calm her down but her body started the shut down because she was in so much stress/her body couldn't handle it. IT was so awful. I was so worried for her! and my other kabahay who was also in training. They were able to find her but the situation is just so sad. I truly think the worst thing you could ever do as a missionary is leave your companion. Awful awful results. So sad. Anyways, we spent the next couple days just helping work everything out and trying to comfort our kabahay. 

Then the next day after that, we had about 6 sisters move into our apartment to evacuate from a typhoon that was supposed to be coming in pretty strong. It didn't hit us too bad but it's a little hard to be hospitable and help others when you just went through a traumatic experience and you're still trying to help your PTSD housemate, you haven't been able to get to any investigators basically all week because it's holy week in the Philippines and you haven't been able to work many hours because it's dangerous and we have curfew,you need to figure out how to go on splits with the evacuated sisters when your trainee is nervous to lead the area/ doesn't want to go with a new sister, and everyone just eats your food and steals your stuff. haha It's hard to be like Jesus sometimes but I'm so lucky because I had lots of opportunities to try and exercise Christlike attributes this week. 

I felt a little caught off guard that it was Easter yesterday. That sure snuck up fast on me. I feel so grateful for my savior Jesus Christ this year more than ever. I feel really blessed to be able to literally take upon his name as his full time representative as I serve here but I know that you don't have to be a full time missionary with a nametag to take upon his name and always remember him, We can all do that as we choose to come unto him and become new again. I used a new metaphor this week in teaching the atonement that I really liked. I told them how the atonement is like a light bulb that is always there and available to give us light and help us but we need to choose our self to "flip the switch" in order to have the light. It's the same with the atonement for us all. It is always there and available to us but in order to really access it's power and all the ways it can help us in our lives we need to choose to flip the switch by coming unto Christ so we can feel that cleansing power of his atonement. (Sounds better in Tagalog) haha:)

Anyways, this upcoming week I am excited to hopefully have a more normal week and to be able to watch conference this weekend!

Man, I just realized I don't really write about my investigators or spiritual experiences in these. I'll try to do a better job of that. I just don't have much time to write/do it all justice.

I love you all!
Hoppy Easter! 
Mahal ko kayo lahat. Sana magiging maganda ang linggo 'nyo lahat!
Sister Turner:)

No comments:

Post a Comment